HeartCode BLS $80.00 (on-line course + short in-person skills exam)
The BLS for Healthcare Providers (HCP) course is designed to provide a wide variety of healthcare professionals with the skills to keep people alive until they can be brought to a hospital or be treated with more advanced lifesaving measures. The BLS course teaches professional Adult, Child, and Infant CPR focusing on two person CPR, choking, the use of BVM’s, and AED’s.
The BLS course covers:
- adult and pediatric CPR
- two-rescuer scenarios and use of the bag-valve mask
- foreign-body airway obstruction (conscious and unconscious)
- automated external defibrillation (includes child AED update)
- special resuscitation situations
- other cardiopulmonary emergencies
- stroke and cardiac arrest
BLS training is intended for certified or noncertified, licensed or non licensed, healthcare professionals, including:
- emergency medical technicians
- respiratory, physical, and occupational therapists
- physician’s assistants
- dentist and dental hygienist
- residents or fellows
- medical or nursing students in training
- aides, medical or nursing assistants, and other allied health personnel
In addition, BLS training can be appropriate for first responders, such as police officers and firefighters, as well as for laypeople whose work brings them into contact with members of the public, such as school, fitness center, or hotel and restaurant employees.
Students must pass a written exam and skills test in order to qualify for a BLS for Healthcare Provider Course Completion Card.
Course length is approximately 3 hours. Part 1 (cognitive portion) can be taken in an instructor-led training session or on a self-directed basis as an online eLearning course (Heartcode). Students then practice their skills (Part 2) and are tested (Part 3) with a certified American Heart Association BLS instructor.